Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

She's more than just a "trial" a "tribulation" or a "bad day"

    I have had so much to write about, but the thoughts flow through my head and I am not in a position at those times to where I can actually sit and write them all down.  I've been irritated, sad, happy, frustrated, guilty, etc, about a lot that relates to grieving.  I write down the topics I want to write about, vent about, to get off my chest, but have yet to write or vent about them.  I need to make the time to do so because I feel it goes against my nature to not vent.  

    I guess I can start with one topic that is not necessarily bothering me today, but has been bothering me off and on since finding out Lilly's diagnosis and since she passed away.  I may have vented about this in the past, but I feel compelled to now, so that I do not let any animosity build inside of me.  Which today its not that's why I feel its fair to vent about this because I am not completely blinded by my animosity.  Though my bringing it up may cause me to feel angry again in regards to this topic.

    When I am having a good grieving moment I can take this in stride.  But when I am in my selfish grieving moment I just do not have the patience, nor the tolerance, for it.  And to be honest I don't want to, and selfishly I do not think I should have to.  That being said, please keep in mind, I am not trying to trivialize what anyone else is going through.  It is when this is said that I just feel like in my darkest moments I am expected to understand and feel better and rise above because others are going through their own trials and tribulations.  Are you kidding me?  My "trial" and "tribulation" (which by the way I dislike Lilly being referred to in that way) makes other people feel lucky in their lives or feel grateful that they are not me, they are not my kids, my husband, even Lilly.

    On my difficult grieving moments, I really do not want to hear "everyone has their own trials and tribulations they are going through, and not everyone thinks or reacts like you do" ok YES I agree people only know what they know and they can not even fathom what this feels like, I get it.  Just like I get the world keeps turning.  The thing is when I am crying because my daughter is dead, please do not tell me that other people have trials and tribulations in an attempt to help me to understand that we all have things we're dealing with.  It really frustrates me that anyone would try to compare the death of MY child to a "bad day".  And I have had "trials" and "tribulations" and "bad days" so I have been there and understand what people feel in those moments, this is beyond measure.  

   I have heard so many times that "we all have trials were going through".  Comparing my daughter's death to others "trials" to me is like devaluing the importance of her LIFE.  Its just frustrating.  I guess people are just trying to make me feel better and in their attempts they are failing in that moment and making me feel worse.  I usually just smile and nod when this is said to me.  I don't know what else to say, to me I feel it should be expected of me to have "moments' to be sad.  It is my right as a mother to grieve the loss of my child, however short lived her life.  Again this is just something that has come up on several occasions since losing Lilly.  I know that no disrespect is meant at all and I do appreciate the effort.  I am frustrated at times by it and I think that is OK.  I am not acting on it, just venting about it and understanding that the people who love me are not trying to hurt me by saying the wrong thing, but sometimes the wrong thing is said because really there are no RIGHT words. I accept that this is my life, that I will have my moments, good or difficult, whatever may come I just have to allow it, feel it, and I feel sometimes others have a harder time accepting this is my life and thats where things get said that leave me hurt and frustrated.  

7 comments:

  1. Again, I am sorry that Lilly is not with you, that she had to leave for Heaven. She is a very important person, a very important part of your life. I validate for you that she was real, loved, and now missed by her loved ones. Please know I am thinking about you and I understand your hurt. Even though our stories are different, I realize the hurt on your heart of having to say goodbye to a baby girl. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so much more then a trial, tribulation or a bad day. She is a beautiful girl that touched so many lives and loved by so many. I'm sorry people have tried to "help" with hurtful words. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. I feel the same way a lot of times and it helps to know I am not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, I do think people say these things in an attempt to somehow make us feel better. They just do not get it and never will get it, unless they loss a child. Sometimes I just wished that people would be quiet, offer a hug or even a pat on the back and move on. I remember when my brother died and I would see my mom cry. It would tear me up everytime. I wanted to do something to make it better but there just was not anything I could do. It is in our nature to want to comfort people and take their pain or lessen it. Grief is difficult all around. Even on the outside looking in. I pray for you and think of you so often! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Losing your child is more than just a "bad day" and anybody who says that is completely stupid. That's what I think!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this posting as soon as I read the title. You are right, she is so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. While in our more logical and lucid moments, we may be able to look at other things and put them in perspective, when our heart is so overcome with the ache of missing our precious babies, hearing about them SO doesn't help! How many times a day do I just do the 'smile and nod' thing because you know that people mean well, but honestly, if you told them what you were really feeling at that moment, it wouldn't be pretty (or at least for me! Some days, I just want to tell people to SHUT UP and let me CRY without trying to talk me out of why I shouldn't be!)...
    Lots of love...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and for taking the time to read about my journey and most importantly about my daughter Lilly Elizabeth and her life. I love reading what you have to say.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails